I took a bunch of shots of it in the making and quick stitched 'em together into a big mosaic. DOWNLOAD FOR FULL-SIZED IMAGE
Read the Completed Lamp
's description for the full story behind it.
1. This is how the leg was mailed to me... luckily it wasn't damaged.
2. For the base, I just used an old stool seat we happened to have lying around. Sanded it waay down to get rid of a bunch of nicks and scuffs, then put on a couple of coats of a basic wood stain.
3. Luckily, the shade was shipped a little more professionally...
4. Since I couldn't find any shades similar to the movie with tassels, we got a 6ft (1.8m) strip at a local fabric store. Unfortunately, they only had light colors, so we ended up dying it black.
5. Here's a shot of us gluing it on with heavy-duty tak glue... I ruined a pair of pants when I spilled a bunch of it on myself...
6. The finished shade!
7. Podiatry is clearly not a specialty of mine... the foot wouldn't fit into the shoe easily, so I had to grind a huge chunk of the ball of the foot off.
8. ...as well as the toes...
9. To attach the whole thing to the base later, we needed to screw upwards through the wood base into the foot, so I added a block of wood inside the foot through the big hole I just made to give the screws something to bite into.
10. We ended up needing to dump a bunch of glue into the shoe to get the heel to hug the back of the shoe. Overnight job!
11. We had also left a big hole in the center of the foot and shoe to run the lamp socket's wire through the wood base.
12. Wood working is also not my forté... Used a little dremel drill to rout out a path for the wire so the base would sit flat.
13. The whole rig screwed together!
14. The lamp fixture itself was the easiest part; I cut out a piece of simple plywood to fit the top opening of the leg and drilled a hole big enough for the thread to fit through. The leg thankfully had a big lip around the edge, so we put half a dozen screws into it, and it held pretty firmly.